“What Do You Do?”
When we meet someone, one of the first questions people often ask is, “So, what do you do?” As Pure Romance Consultants who are just starting in the business, this can sometimes be a daunting question. Why? Because we live in a society that still is learning it’s okay to talk openly about sexuality and intimate topics, but our Consultants are the ambassadors blazing a path of improvement in this arena.
When I first started in this business, I’ll never forget when my firstborn son came to me with this very question. High school kids were bullying him at the bus stop when they heard about one of my interviews at a local radio station. They told him, “We know what your mom does!” and like many bullies to this day, they were relentless and ruthless. He came home in tears and told me he knew what I did for a living.
This is when I sat him down for an important talk. I explained to him that while he and I always didn’t get along, we always made up. However, when his father and I had argued in the past, we weren’t able to “make up.” You, see, I never wanted anyone else’s children to go through that, or their parents for that matter. He began to understand that I was working to help teach moms and parents to communicate better than I had with his father, and maintain important aspects of their relationship that helped them to stay together for life.
I also told him, “You know those kids picking on you at the bus stop? Their moms have been to my parties.”
That was the end of that.
It isn’t easy working in a business that addresses issues around sexuality; that’s why our Consultants are so tough. They are strong, empowered and passionate women who are able to stand tall when certain people don’t understand or question what we do.
When a couple makes a commitment to be together for life, it’s not always easy. Life and relationships are like a changing heartbeat – there’s a beat that speeds up and slows down and we have to work to keep up with it. There are not many places for couples to go to get answers and be mentored besides doctors and therapists.
If you are a Pure Romance Consultant reading this, below are just a couple pointers on how to show your pride when you tell a new acquaintance what you do.
- Help them understand that the best gift we can give our children is giving them the opportunity to see their parents happy.
- Understand there’s a time and a place; you don’t sit down with a young child the first day you get your Pure Romance Kit. You’ll know when they are becoming curious and can truly grasp what we are actually doing for couples and women everywhere.
- Any one who has been in a long-term relationship knows that they sometimes get put on the back burner. Give examples that relate to their lives and real-life issues in intimacy. We know it’s not just about product. It’s our job to help them understand that.
- Know your 30-Second Commercial. After hiring one of our new staff members, her father asked her about her new job. She said, “I’ve accepted a position with a successful multi-million dollar international company that specializes in relationship enhancement products.”
- No matter what you do for a living, you should love it and be proud of it – or else it’s not worth doing!